Reasons Why You Should Date Your Best Friend
You can spend your whole life looking for the man who loves you for who you truly are, knows about your oddest behaviors and still accepts you, or you can pick up your phone now and call your best guy friend, because he already is that man. That special man you have been waiting for. Listening to those songs for,
1. You already know what the other person wants. He knows you’ve always wanted a big family, and you know he’d like to be married by the time he’s 30. Friends have these discussions. There is no fear of the truth, no asking yourself, What if he doesn’t want as many kids as I do? Compromise is important in any relationship, and the best way to compromise is by starting with the truth. You’ll get closer to what you both want this way.
2. You know each other’s dating histories. Chances are you’ve seen one another in relationships and you’ve probably even met each other’s exes. Since you’ve already met his past lovers, you’ll be a lot less likely to feel insecure about them.
3. You’ve shared important moments together. If you’ve known each other long enough, you’ve been there when family members have gotten married, when babies have been born… through job promotions, puppies and maybe even the purchase of a first home. These events shape us and shape our relationships. There’s nothing as good as having a real past with your partner.
4. The secrets are all out on the table. That drunken hookup with your friend’s ex-boyfriend? He knows about it. The stripper he dated in his early twenties? You’re her Facebook friend. These secrets that we would normally be scared to share with a new partner for fear of judgment? Our friends already know. And we’re also less likely to care about them when we know they’re just one small part of someone’s past.
5. The respect is already there. Respect is so vital to a relationship, but sometimes that respect takes time to form. You need to get to know each other, learn one another’s values and see each other in action. Respect is no less important to friendships. Wouldn’t it be great to start a relationship and already have that respect in place?
6. You’ve seen each other in your less than stellar moments. He’s wiped away your tears despite the raccoon-sized mascara circles under your eyes. He knew you when you were a jambite, he’s helped you gain weight! He’s seen you with post-workout headband hair, in your sweatpants and he still loves you.
7. Your career priorities are already out there. You know that his goal is to make partner by 32, and he knows your dream is to open your own literary agency. You’ve already helped one another work toward these goals, so when he can’t make it home one night before 10 p.m., you’re more likely to be understanding.
8. You’re already discussed the hardest topics. Religion, money, politics; These are things that friends can discuss freely and with passion, but that can sometimes come between two people without a prior connection. He may be a poor Catholic, but if this wasn’t enough to keep you from being his friend when you first met a decade ago, most likely it won’t break you apart now.