young man electrocuted while trying to ensure ‘free flow of electric current’ in Anambra
A 23-year-old man identified as Nduk, from Enugwu-Agidi community in Njikoka Local Government Area of Anambra State has been electrocuted while cutting down a tree.
The deceased was said to have been electrocuted when he climbed a breadfruit tree to cut its branches directly under an electric high tension wire. The deceased, who hailed from Iruobieri village of
Reacting, President General, Enugwu-Agidi Brotherly Union (EBU), Chidi Okoye described the incident as regrettable, blaming it on the carelessness of the deceased. He said, The leadership of the union has been warning the villagers not to engage in any responsibility meant for EEDC because of the inherent dangers. The man failed to consult the electricity committee chairman who could have informed the EEDC of his intention. He just lost his life out of sheer carelessness. The sad incident is a lesson to everybody in the community. I believe that nobody will be foolish enough to attempt such act without involving the EEDC. Okoye however cautioned the youths in the area not to take laws into their hands, insisting that “there is no need for civil unrest in the community as a result of the death.