Uganda denies Ebola outbreak reports
May 28, 2018 Health 0 1131 By Obiaks News
Uganda's Ministry of Health has denied reports of an Ebola outbreak in the country, privately-owned Daily Monitor reports, quoting the minister in charge.
Sarah Opendi said: "We would like to inform the public that there is no Ebola outbreak in [central] Mubende district or any other part of the country.”
She added a 35-year-old man who was admitted to hospital in the
western Uganda region of Kakumiro two days ago suffering from a high fever and vomiting had died.
The minister said the patient was suffering from Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever, not Ebola.
Samples were reportedly taken from the deceased body and were sent to the Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI), The Daily Monitor reports.
“The attendants of the deceased who included his expectant wife and four others were immediately quarantined and they are closely being monitored. To mitigate any possible exposure from contact with the suspect, all material used by the deceased, including a trolley and beddings used by the deceased were burnt,” Ms Opendi said.
According to the latest figured by the World Health of Organization, 56 cases of haemorrhagic fever have been recorded in the current outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, including 35 confirmed, 13 probable and 8 suspected cases.
There have been 27 deaths so far, with three deaths confirmed as Ebola since the DR Congo outbreak was reported on 8 May.