NHRC to probe alleged travel ban on gov

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) is investigating the alleged ban on Ekiti State Governor, Ayo Fayose from travelling abroad without clearance from the Department of State Security (DSS).

The commission also plans to probe the alleged failure of the DSS to comply with the judgement of a court ordering it to pay N5 million damages to the Ekiti State House
of Assembly for detaining a member for 18 days.

NHRC's Executive Secretary, Prof. Bem Angwe, disclosed the initiatives on Tuesday when members of the Ekiti State House of Assembly brought a complaint on the alleged ban placed on Fayose from travelling outside the country by the DSS and the agency's refusal to comply with the aforementioned court order.

Earlier in 2015, the Ekiti Assembly had approached the commission over the refusal of the DSS to release its member, Hon. Afolabi Akanni, who was detained for 18 days by the DSS.

The commission, upon receipt of the complaint intervened in the matter and the DSS released Akanni but failed to pay the N5 million damages.

In view of the above scenario, the commission told the visiting lawmakers that it would not hesitate to investigate the complaint since it borders on the enforcement of the fundamental human rights despite the fact that the matter is currently before the court.

The NHRC said that it would liaise with the court to ascertain the situation of the matter with a view to establishing whether there was any impediment or appeal on the decision of the High Court relating to why the damages was allegedly not paid.

The leader of the delegation and Chairman, House Committee on Health, Hon. Samuel Omotoso, lamented what it described as "another impending infringement" on the fundamental rights of Governor Fayose and by extension, the entire Ekiti people by the Federal Government on the statement issued by the DSS calling on the governor not to travel outside the shores of Nigeria without its permission.

According to the Assembly's complaint signed by the Speaker, Hon. Kolawole Oluwawole and received by Angwe, "A few weeks ago, our governor was reliably informed that President Muhammadu Buhari had directed that he should be banned from travelling outside Nigeria.

This reliable information was to be confirmed through reports in two major national dailies on Sunday, May 29, 2016 titled: "2 Govs Under Watch; Face Travel Ban."

Related News

Review News

Rating: 0.0/5 (0 Review(s) )

500
Leave a comment...