Seven killed in Indonesian bomb attacks

At least seven people have been killed in a series of coordinated bomb and gun attacks in central Jakarta, Indonesia's police told Al Jazeera, as blasts rang out of the capital's downtown area.

An unknown number of people were injured in the security operations at the Sarinah shopping complex on Thamrin Street in Jakarta's central
district on Thursday.

Police said the attack has ended and that security forces are in control of the area.

Earlier police reports said five gunmen were killed and that another five policemen and seven civilians were also dead. Police later revised the toll to a total of seven, including four attackers.

All six blasts occurred about 50 metres apart in the central business district, which also houses a United Nations office.

Earlier, tweets from the account of Jeremy Douglas, regional representative of the UN office on Drugs and Crime for Southeast Asia and the Pacific, described a bomb and "serious" exchanges of gunfire on the street outside his office.

A United Nations building close to the scene was in lockdown, and other high-rise buildings in the area have been evacuated.

Police said the attackers aimed to "imitate the terror attacks in Paris", and Islamic State fighters were "definitely" responsible.

Aamaaq, a news agency allied to the terror group, claimed IS carried out the attacks "targeting foreign nationals and the security forces charged with protecting them in the Indonesian capital."

It emerged IS had issued a cryptic warning in November last year, saying, "there will be a concert in Indonesia and it will be international news".

Bodies could be seen in the streets, as office workers watched the horror unfold.

Related News

Review News

Rating: 0.0/5 (0 Review(s) )

500
Leave a comment...